Thank you for all our secondary students and families who made Secondary Back to School Day such a fun and successful day! Here is a brief recap of the Parents Meeting.
STUDENT PARKING: JUNIORS & SENIORS
- Clear water bottles - classroom
- No Starbucks drinks or food brought into the building in the mornings-please finish in car-trash can is waiting in the foyer
- Students have access to lesson plans in Google Classroom (lesson plans for upcoming week posted by this Saturday @ noon - usually in Friday @ midnight).
- IMPORTANT Parents must have access to their student’s Google Classroom by using your student’s email address and password.
- Grades are posted on ParentsWeb by Thursday @ noon for the preceding week of Mon-Fri
- NO PASS NO PLAY policy continues-if a student athlete's grades drop below passing they will sit out of play until the grade returns to passing. Our Athletic Director Coach Campbell will notify families and coaches. Policy is found on the website under the Athletics Tab/Athletic Registration-No Pass/No Play Policy
- Everyone, both parents & students, should have already read the Secondary Policies and Procedures
- The course syllabus and Secondary Policies and Procedures will answer questions about daily operation in the classroom
- Reminder: We do not permit student printing at school. Your student’s teacher will share their policy/expectations concerning printer “emergencies.”
- Reminder: School policy does not allow for individual “Extra Credit”
Parent Partnership is an integral part of Cornerstone’s Mission: In Matthew 22 Christ reminds of the First and Greatest commandment: To love the Lord our God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind. The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.
To maintain this Christ centered culture at Cornerstone we abide by the guiding principle for relationships found in Matthew 18
- PLEASE Always if you have a concern contact your student’s teacher first. The Matthew 18 Principle is found on p 33 of the online School Catalog.
- To facilitate Matthew 18 Cornerstone aligns with a biblical Code of Conduct for Teachers, Students and Parents. The Parent and Student Code of Conduct can be found on p 9 of the online School Catalog
- Emails are for quick questions - more than a paragraph make an appointment for a face to face or ask for the teacher to call you. Delicate issues should always be handled face to face or by phone.
SCHOOL EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS
- Cornerstone website/subscribe to Cornerstone’s Google Master calendar & the Secondary Student Life calendar
- Social media-FB/Twitter/Instagram-Mrs. Marlow is always posting Cornerstone news and events
- 9th/10th grade Retreat August 10
- 11th/12th grade Retreat is October 5th & 6th-watch for information in the September Chronicle
- REMINDER! READ the Chronicle! BE IN THE KNOW!! - Cornerstone’s OFFICIAL SOURCE OF INFORMATION-Don’t miss any Cornerstone EVENTS!! Parents must click on the links to fully read and understand the information being sent out. The links, allow parents to read the information that pertains to them. However, you must click on the links or you will not have complete information.
- Uniform reminders
- Parents are responsible for enforcing the Cornerstone uniform policies...please be sure to review the policies in the school catalog
- Girls skirts/skorts are too short-must be no shorter than 3” above the back of the knee
- Boys Facial Hair is not permitted and I am sorry-there are some MS boys that need to be aware it is time to start shaving-razor and shaving cream has been updated to an electric razor-Safety First-It is at the front desk-if your son happens to arrive at school with facial hair he will be asked to shave before being permitted to continue to class.
- Outerwear for classrooms or building must be Cornerstone approved outerwear-this applies to all sweaters/sweatshirts and fleece jackets. NorthFace jackets are not approved Cornerstone outerwear. Please-I do not want the students to be cold, but they will be asked to place non-Cornerstone outerwear in their locker. Uniform Violations are sent by email by the end of the school day.
- Patterned shoes-while being very stylish are not uniform approved footwear
- tennis shoes - mostly black, mostly gray or mostly white with black/white/gray laces-NO colored laces
- NEW 2017-18-Gathering Fridays are Chaco/athletic sandal Days-NO flip flops
The Cornerstone Conservatory begins its fall semester soon with brand new offerings. Learn more and register here.
WHERE TO GO WITH QUESTIONS
Have a general information or managing the UM school schedule question? We suggest you seek help with one of the following:
- Your mentor family
- Mrs. Cosgrove-school counselor
- Cornerstone website/school catalog
- Mrs. Fortson in the front office
- Mrs. Hamilton
- Mr. Cunningham