Elementary Principal Blog
Dear Elementary Families,
I am emailing you about a change to our elementary math curriculum for the 2023-24 school year. After much consideration, we have decided to change from Saxon to the BJU Press Math curriculum. Below you will find both the reason for this change and the benefits of choosing this particular new curriculum.
Why are we making this change?
We made the switch to Saxon three years ago and still believe it is a strong math curriculum that provides elementary students with a strong foundation in math concepts. However, we have found it challenging to implement in our unique model of schooling. Our teachers have spent a lot of time tweaking/supplementing this curriculum to make it fit our model. Because it is a homeschool curriculum, it also doesn’t provide them with many resources that can enhance their classes. This, along with other concerns, led us to begin exploring other options.
Why BJU Press?
These are some of the ways we feel the change from Saxon to BJU Press will enhance our math program:
- Instructional Approach: Teacher focused lessons with an emphasis on manipulative use for students. The curriculum provides a gradual progression from the concrete to the abstract with understanding and not memorization as the goal.
- Educational Emphasis: Unit based instruction with mastery of concepts as the goal and spiral review woven throughout.
- Students receive a colorful, engaging work text that provides guided and independent concept practice. Some grades also include a review book that includes additional concept practice, chapter reviews, and spiral review.
- Teachers will receive onsite training from BJU’s math curriculum specialist and have access to online resources that will enhance classroom instruction.
- Parents will have online access to the Teacher’s Edition.
- Biblical integration is included.
You can learn more about BJU Press Math here. You will no longer purchase math textbooks for your student because we are able to purchase them at a discounted price. The textbook cost will be added to your family account.
Our elementary math teachers are excited about this change and we hope that you will be, too! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.